Matt Dawson came to Sheldon on Thursday 3rd November to lead the formal opening of our new refectory.
During the afternoon he took part in lots of interesting activities with pupils:
- lunch in the refectory with the School Council members who helped design the building
- meeting pupils who regularly use the refectory
- a health, food and fitness question time with pupils
- a rugby half-back clinic with scrum halfs and fly halfs from Years 7 to 13
- judging a Year 8 MasterChef competition
- taking part in an official opening ceremony with invited guests
To read more click here.....
Matt Dawson has only just returned from New Zealand after the Rugby World Cup. He is first and foremost a rugby player and was part of the World Cup winning team in 2003, but he has enjoyed even wider fame since his retirement from rugby. Matt is a team captain on the BBC’s Question of Sport and won Celebrity Master Chef in 2006. He was runner up in the 2006 Strictly Come Dancing. His passion for sport, fitness and food and led him to become Sodexo’s Health and Sport Ambassador.
The refectory is the result of a £900,000 building project, with a third of the funding coming from a Schools Food Trust grant awarded in 2009. In addition to the refectory, the building project includes a new school entrance and foyer, a refectory courtyard with a canopy for alfresco dining and socialising, a new kitchen and a new staircase serving the languages classrooms.