Welcome from Sally Dickens TA Manager, Jan Tong Senior TA for Assessment, and Kim McKenna Senior TA for Literacy.
Our TAs provide support to pupils with SEND; this support is predominantly in-class support but can also be on a 1:1 or small group basis.
Teacher Assistants support pupils in class in the following ways:
- Helping individual pupils understand what is required in the lesson.
- Assisting pupils with reading.
- Helping pupils understand written texts by asking questions or simplifying the language.
- Helping prepare differentiated materials that will increase pupils' access to the curriculum.
- Answering questions when needed.
- Helping pupils take notes during a lesson.
- Supporting pupils with spellings.
- Helping pupils with discussion work.
- Helping pupils settle and get started.
- Sometimes lending equipment (pencil/ruler).
- Helping pupils organise their work.
- Keeping pupils on task.
- Keeping a pupil seated.
- Monitoring behaviour patterns in the classroom.
- Advising on seating plans/classroom organisation.
- Removing a pupil before a problem escalates.
- Assisting pupils working on a computer/laptop.
- Acting as a Reader or a Scribe during tests or examinations.
- Supervising group work.
- Helping with basic literacy and numeracy skills.
- Helping to build self-esteem by encouraging pupils to participate in lessons.
- Helping mark work with pupils during the lesson.
- Writing homework into diaries.
- Signing Report Cards.
- Working with individuals or groups outside the classroom to reinforce learning.
- Working with individuals or small groups to extend learning activities.
- Giving feedback to the teacher on pupils and their work.
- Supporting the reward system (praise, Community Stickers, Merits).